Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 05 May 2013 17:10 #48076

We have been advised by VNF that there is a collapse of the Canal du Centre at Blanzy near Montceau les Mines. Possible repair and re-opening by 15th May.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 06 May 2013 16:40 #48088

We have been told that the bank has collapsed in this section and that it will take at least until the 15th May to repair - but probably longer.
Does anyone have more detailed or up to date information.
Crispian Trace
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 06 May 2013 16:52 #48089

We got as far as St Julian sur Dheune, close to the summit yesterday afternoon where we were told to moor up and the St Julian Lock keeper informed us that the bank had collapsed ahead in this section and that it will take at least until the 15th May to repair - but maybe longer.
Our son cycled to the summit and saw some damaged walls that had been cordoned off - but the canal was emptied of water - and this was just past St Julian, and six or seven locks above Blanzy.
There are also TWO Public Holidays this week!! So my estimate is - it will undoubtedly take longer!
Does anyone have more detailed or up to date information.
Crispian Trace
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 06 May 2013 21:54 #48090

See the note in my general email, refering to canal du Centre... and Blanzy! There is no detail given there by VNF of a date for re-opening. Maybe someone local may have an idea. If I hear anything I'll pass it on.

Best

Guy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 07 May 2013 08:55 #48094

Hi Guy & amp, Thanks Yours Crispian



On 6 May 2013 21:54, DBA Forum (SHAL) - Guy & Ruth Toye <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > wrote:

See the note in my general email, refering to canal du Centre... and Blanzy! There is no detail given there by VNF of a date for re-opening. Maybe someone local may have an idea. If I hear anything I'll pass it on.




Best



Guy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 07 May 2013 11:34 #48107

The loss of water is at Montchanin at the summit. The summit pound is dry and 7 kilometers of canal are shut each side of the summit. Locks Med 9 to Ocean 7.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 07 May 2013 18:57 #48122

Trapped at Rully. Domaine Jacqueson is sold out of 2011 Rully. Catastrophe. VNF guy just told us it will be at least until 15 May. Time to varnish the wheelhouse.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 07 May 2013 22:42 #48133

Harvey Schwartz wrote:
Trapped at Rully. Domaine Jacqueson is sold out of 2011 Rully. Catastrophe. VNF guy just told us it will be at least until 15 May. Time to varnish the wheelhouse.
While you wait, you can pop along to Lameloise in Chagny. During our earlier canal wanderings between 1984 and 2006, we passed through Chagny five times and never failed to pause in the basin for a day or two to dine at Lameloise. It is one of the truly great restaurants of the world. They have had three Michelin stars for decades. During my wine importing days, I was privileged to have been taken there on a number of occasions by wine producers. Now I'm hungry!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 08 May 2013 09:05 #48136

Dear All, That is all good info and will be acted upon, Now we are just chilled out and waiting in this glorious spring and country side. We only live once ! Thanks Yours Crispian & Elizabeth 




On 7 May 2013 22:42, DBA Forum (SHAL) - Michael Walsh <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > wrote:
Harvey Schwartz wrote:
Trapped at Rully. Domaine Jacqueson is sold out of 2011 Rully. Catastrophe. VNF guy just told us it will be at least until 15 May. Time to varnish the wheelhouse.

While you wait, you can pop along to Lameloise in Chagny. During our earlier canal wanderings between 1984 and 2006, we passed through Chagny five times and never failed to pause in the basin for a day or two to dine at Lameloise. It is one of the truly great restaurants of the world. They have had three Michelin stars for decades. During my wine importing days, I was privileged to have been taken there on a number of occasions by wine producers. Now I'm hungry!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 09 May 2013 18:47 #48181

Just received latest sitrep from VNF with no change to earlier info, already passed on.

Most likely to be helpful is from Harvey (Schwarz), for which many thanks, from a local VNF saying that most likely not mended until 15th May.

Should be another sitrep Friday pm - if any change will pass on.

Best

Guy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 10 May 2013 16:04 #48218

We'll ride our bikes to the work site in the next few days and see what the folks there say about a completion date. The situation here is getting increasingly desperate as we ride to a different vineyard every day and our wine cellar (bilge) is running out of space.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 10 May 2013 16:19 #48220

Apparently work starts in earnest on Monday and should be complete within the week, and  as a gesture of good will I have some spare room on my boat to store your excess wine, I realise this is a generous offer but in these times of tempest we must all pull together.




On 10 May 2013 16:04, DBA Forum (SHAL) - Harvey Schwartz <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > wrote:

We'll ride our bikes to the work site in the next few days and see what the folks there say about a completion date. The situation here is getting increasingly desperate as we ride to a different vineyard every day and our wine cellar (bilge) is running out of space.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 12 May 2013 20:33 #48271

As of Sunday the site looks as if no work has yet been done, and much needs doing. I'm skeptical about it being completed in five days, even if they begin Monday.

On May 9, 2013, at 6:47 PM, "DBA Forum (SHAL) - Guy & Ruth Toye" wrote:

> Just received latest sitrep from VNF with no change to earlier info, already passed on.
>
> Most likely to be helpful is from Harvey (Schwarz), for which many thanks, from a local VNF saying that most likely not mended until 15th May.
>
> Should be another sitrep Friday pm - if any change will pass on.
>
> Best
>
> Guy
>
>
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 13 May 2013 09:27 #48280

The word we got from VNF on Friday was that the start work today (Monday) and are unlikely to be finished before the end of the month. We will go and have a look on Wednesday.

M&R Miller
Aquarelle
Digoin
Mike & Rosaleen Miller
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 13 May 2013 11:18 #48288

Thanks for this, Harvey.

We should get further news tomorrow from friends of ours, Guy & Christine Manouvrier, bateliers on the good ship LIBERTY, blocked also with a cargo of logs (tree trunks) on the way to us (la Chapelle Montlinard) on the canal Lateral à la Loire. They are going to look at the breach and should get news - they will let me know and I'll pass on as & when.

Best

Guy

Message d'origine
De : "DBA Forum (SHAL) - Harvey Schwartz"

Date dim. 12/05/2013 20:33 (GMT +02:00)
À : "Stoppages Hazards and Levels subscribers"

Objet : Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre

As of Sunday the site looks as if no work has yet been done, and much needs doing. I'm skeptical about it being completed in five days, even if they begin Monday.

On May 9, 2013, at 6:47 PM, "DBA Forum (SHAL) - Guy & Ruth Toye" wrote:

> Just received latest sitrep from VNF with no change to earlier info, already passed on.
>
> Most likely to be helpful is from Harvey (Schwarz), for which many thanks, from a local VNF saying that most likely not mended until 15th May.
>
> Should be another sitrep Friday pm - if any change will pass on.
>
> Best
>
> Guy
>
>
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 15 May 2013 17:32 #48333

The latest word we received was from a port capiitaine who spoke with VNF today and was told that the earliest they expect to finish the work is the end of next week but that all the rain slows the work down. That does not sound especially promising. I notice the VNF web site is still saying the canal will tentatively reopen today. Right. Does anybody have any other information.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 15 May 2013 19:47 #48338

Hi All, We are planning a personal visit to the site on Friday morning and will check out with the local workers when what might occur! Great Stuff This communication 'Tres Bon"






On 15 May 2013 17:32, DBA Forum (SHAL) - Harvey Schwartz <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > wrote:

The latest word we received was from a port capiitaine who spoke with VNF today and was told that the earliest they expect to finish the work is the end of next week but that all the rain slows the work down. That does not sound especially promising. I notice the VNF web site is still saying the canal will tentatively reopen today. Right. Does anybody have any other information.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 17 May 2013 19:27 #48386

Hi We have been to the repair site and were surprised at how much work has been done, The Engineer in charge was confidant that the canal would be opened again by the end of next week. See attached pic


Yours Crispian





On 8 May 2013 09:04, Crispian Trace <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > wrote:

Dear All, That is all good info and will be acted upon, Now we are just chilled out and waiting in this glorious spring and country side. We only live once ! Thanks Yours Crispian & Elizabeth 





On 7 May 2013 22:42, DBA Forum (SHAL) - Michael Walsh <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. > wrote:

Harvey Schwartz wrote:
Trapped at Rully. Domaine Jacqueson is sold out of 2011 Rully. Catastrophe. VNF guy just told us it will be at least until 15 May. Time to varnish the wheelhouse.


While you wait, you can pop along to Lameloise in Chagny. During our earlier canal wanderings between 1984 and 2006, we passed through Chagny five times and never failed to pause in the basin for a day or two to dine at Lameloise. It is one of the truly great restaurants of the world. They have had three Michelin stars for decades. During my wine importing days, I was privileged to have been taken there on a number of occasions by wine producers. Now I'm hungry!barges.org/images/postbyemail/12c Diggers at work setting steel shuttering 3.JPG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 18 May 2013 10:42 #48392

We went up to the site of the problem which is just east of lock 1 (Ocean) with the port capitaine and Crispian from St Leger yesterday. The problem appears to have been water escaping around the sluice for emptying the pound which eventually enlarged itself and took half the road away too. Repairs look good and they hoped to finish piling and pouring concrete yesterday. Tests are planned for Monday with subsequent refilling and opening Tues or Wed! Keeping our fingers crossed! There are worce places to be held up than St Leger!

Pat Barron "TOPAZ"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canal closure at Blanzy Canal du Centre 21 May 2013 19:07 #48483

An Avis FR/2013/02315 issued today appears to extend the stoppage on the Canal du Centre at Montchanin for an indeterminate period. Not good news for those attempting to get to the rally at Dijon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: Bob Marsland, Pete. Milne
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds